Your BPHSAA Board has been active this past year. Highlights include:
- Benson Tech and Portland Public Schools (PPS) Summer School have set aside one week in the summer of 2015 to have CTE Summer Saturday Academy classes for the first time.
- A full-time architecture teacher was brought back in Fall 2014 —
this major had been eliminated from the Benson Tech curriculum four years earlier. A CTE State of Oregon Grant paid for new computer-aided design equipment as well.
- The Freshman Picnic will be 6/2/15 to welcome the incoming class.
- While enrollment is still capped, PPS has agreed to manage enrollment upward steadily — for Fall 2014, almost 900 kids are enrolled.
- The BPHSAA provided $500 financial support to help maintain summer radio programming.
- Benson Tech’s Community Picnic will be 8/15/15 — all incoming freshmen and families are invited.
- BPHSAA Board members have worked with PPS on issues at the Site Council-level to help support athletics and future planning for the forthcoming 2016 bond measure.
For more information about the BPHSAA and how you can help as an alumni, see our Help Wanted page.
This article appears in our February 2015 newsletter (pdf)